You might have heard the travel stories - white sand beaches, swaying palm trees, crystal clear water, tropical waterfalls, friendly locals and colorful umbrella drinks. Yes, they are all true, Fiji is a tropical paradise with over 300 amazing islands but there are couple of things we need to warn you about.
1. You have probably imagined yourself lying in a hammock on a white sandy beach. It sounds like a dream but be careful it can be a challenge to get in and out of that swinging thing.
2. You are going to annoy all your friends with amazing waterfall pictures on Instagram. You might even get one that is similar to the shampoo commercials where they wash their hair in a gorgeous waterfall surrounded by colorful flowers.
3. There is a possibility that you are going to lose all your money betting on a crab race.
4. They say that they "used to" practice cannibalism in Fiji but keep in mind that people are still able to buy the four-pronged wooden forks, a nod to Fiji's cannibalistic past, at the village craft and souvenir stalls.
5. In addtion, you will hear all those strange and gruesome cannibalistic stories. And just in case, do not touch the head of Fijian as it is still a big no no even though you will not be punished by becoming the dinner.
6. The Beqa´s fire walkers! Do I need to say more - who in their right mind does that?
7. In Fiji, many houses do not have doors, buses do not have windows and the police do not carry guns.
8. But you will see large muscular men casually carrying a machete as they walk down the road. But don't worry, they only hunt sugar canes!
9. Kava - the important cultural and social custom in Fiji. Yes, you will experience the taste of mud water and it will make your tongue numb. Why put yourself in this situation?
10. Do you not like the heat? The lowest temperature in Fijis is about 18 degrees at night.
11. You will get tempted to register for a fitness course while experiencing the Fijian atmosphere. Who wants that?
12. It will be difficult to adjust back to the life at home when you can no longer explain delays with the phrase "no hurry, no worries".
13. Fijians are the happiest people on earth according to statistics. If you hang around them for a while, all that happiness might rub off on you.
14. All the smiling serenaders in floral shirts serenating you with an ukulele as you pass through immigration - it will be hard to visit other airports.
15. You will most likely get addicted and have the constant need to go back for a Fiji fix.
16. Bula will become your new favorite word and you are going to say it a lot! It means "life" and can be used to say hello, goodbye, welcome, love and more.
17. The crystal clear sea and amazing underwater world will make it hard for you to dive in other places. And to make it even harder you can also collect karma points while learning how to dive in Fiji.
18. You might get sea sick while cruising between the picture perfect islands with their swaying palm trees, white sand beaches, crystal clear waters and colorful coral and fish filled lagoons.
19. You are most likely going to miss your plane home after you have experienced the relaxed atmosphere, hammocks on the beach and friendly people.